|Also Known As||Nikki (Cardcaptors)|
|Age||11~13 (pre Clear Card Arc)|
13~14 (Clear Card Arc)
Sakura Kinomoto (friend)
|Likes||Reading, scary situations, shrines and temples, art|
|Hair||Brown (90s Anime & Manga)|
Light Brown (Clear Card Anime)
|Eyes||Brown (90s Anime & Manga)|
Yellow (Clear Card Anime)
|Episode 1: "Sakura and the Mysterious Magic Book"|
|Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card|
|English||Kelly Sheridan (Cardcaptors)|
Sherry Lynn (2nd movie)
Dani Chambers (Clear Card)
Naoko Yanagisawa (柳沢 奈緒子, Yanagisawa Naoko) is a fictional character in Clamp's anime and manga series Cardcaptor Sakura. She is one of Sakura Kinomoto's classmates in school. She, along with Rika Sasaki and Chiharu Mihara, often appear alongside Sakura at school and during school events. She is also on the school's cheerleading squad with Sakura, despite being rather bad at gymnastics.
- The name Naoko means "Nara, what" (奈) (na), "thread" (緒) (o) and "child" (子) (ko).
- Naoko's surname Yanagisawa means "willow" (柳) (yanagi) and "marsh" (沢) (sawa).
Naoko loves reading various types of stories, especially fantasy stories and ghost stories. While Sakura Kinomoto reacts to scary situations with utmost fear, Naoko reacts with fascination and a brave willingness to explore these mysterious situations further.
Clow Card Arc
Naoko is involved in the main plot in episode 31 with her discovery of The Create card, a Clow Cards hiding as a book in an old bookstore. Naoko buys the book when she learns that it is a book that allows the reader to write whatever ending he or she chooses. The power of The Create is that whatever is written or described on its pages will come true.
Naoko writes a story about mystical creatures with swirls for eyes as well as other odd circumstances that completely confuse Sakura Kinomoto and company when they investigate the mysterious happenings. Naoko remains oblivious to The Create's power, as all her writings are brought to life relatively far from her bedroom. Naoko brings her story to a climax with the appearance of a fire-breathing dragon (which Sakura fights through the last few minutes of the episode), but she decides to go to bed before finishing it. She closes her book, which in turn halts The Create's power, and every magical being that was created disappears. Sakura takes this opportunity to capture The Create before all the creations completely fade away.
When Naoko wakes up the next morning to find her book suddenly missing, she believes she just had a supernatural experience.
Clear Card Arc
She reappears as a supporting character in Clear Card Arc, in the same class as Syaoran Li and Takashi Yamazaki. She gently teases Sakura and Syaoran sometimes, such as when Syaoran falls for Yamazaki's jokes, or when drawing Sakura holding hands with Syaoran in Sakura's textbook.
In Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle
Naoko appears in Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle as a reader in the Record Library.
- Naoko shows some art skills in doing so as her drawing mimicked the actual manga's style.
- According to an interview with Clamp featured in Clamp no Kiseki Volume 2, in a chapter that didn't make the final cut of the manga, Naoko is revealed to have a long-distance boyfriend.
- In Chapter 13, Naoko's profile states her birthday is October 11th, placing her on the "older" end of Sakura Kinomoto's class (due to her birthday occurring after April 1st, the start of a typical Japanese school year, which is also Sakura's birthday).
- Cardcaptor Sakura Manga Chapter 13 Profile