The Watery (Kanji: 水, Katakana: ウォータリー, Romanji: Uōtarī) is one of the fifty-two Clow Cards in the anime and is also part of the original nineteen cards from the manga series. It is one of the four elemental cards, and as such it is one of the most powerful. Watery falls under the power of the Moon, Yue and under Eastern Magic.
Watery appeared somewhat shapeless at first, taking the form of large torrents and even a serpentine shape made of water. Her true form was not revealed until shortly before her capture.
Watery resembles a blue, adolescent mermaid with webbed elven-ears and two wing-like fins, based on a flying fish, on her back. Her hair is parted in the middle with several strands emanating from the top. A scaly circlet decorates her forehead.
As a Sakura Card in the manga, Watery receives two star earrings and a collar resembling her circlet.
As an attack card, Watery is noted as being extremely aggressive and violent, even attempting to drown Sakura and her friends, as well as others before she was resealed.
Magic and Abilities
Water Magic: The Watery is able to control water and create whirlpools and tidal waves. It also once created a serpentine body of water. It can also absorb the power from other water-based Clow Cards like the Rain card.
Fortune Telling: All Clow Cards have the ability to help their user predict the future. Their method of fortune-telling is similar to that of tarot cards. The interpretation of the message the Clow Cards relay depends on the magical power of the user.
Clow Cards arc
In Episode 3 of the anime, Watery makes a home in an aquarium where it attacked the animals and staff members, and later Sakura, too. In the manga (Volume 1), Watery first appears in school's swimming pool, where it tried to drown a number of students. In both cases, Sakura Kinomoto manages to capture Watery by luring it into a walk-in freezer with Windy and locking it in until it froze.
Watery also teamed with Windy to help take down the Firey Card which enabled Sakura to capture it at last.
Sakura Cards arc
Appearances in Other Media
In the second movie, Sakura uses Watery at the beginning of the movie to vanquish a fire monster created by the Create in a battle scene for one of Tomoyo's videos. However, the Nothing soon captures Watery and it plays no further part in the movie.
As one of the four elemental cards it is extremely powerful. It is one of the two elemental cards directly linked to Yue's Eastern Magic and The Moon. The cards under The Watery are:
- Prior to being captured, Kero noted that the Watery was an aggressive card. After Sakura captured it and signed her name, Watery soon became a calm force; willing to help Sakura, possibly out of respect for taming it.
- In the English-dubbed version, Watery is one of two cards to have the '-ey' removed; renaming it "Water".
- The other exception is Earthy being called Earth in the English-dubbed version.
- Watery's design parallels Firey in several ways:
- Both resemble adolescent figures.
- Their hair is parted in the middle.
- Both possess a circlet on their foreheads.
- Both bare a pair of wings.
- The kanji at the top of the card: 水, (Pronounced 'Mizu') means 'water' in Japanese.