|Yuna D. Kaito|
|Series||Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card Arc|
|Also Known As||The Magician|
|Birthday||March 6th (Pisces)|
|Likes||Becoming the strongest sorcerer of all Europe|
|Dislikes||Sakura and her guardians getting in his way|
|"Sakura, the Clock, and a Hide-and-Seek Game"|
Yuna's first name means "Dark River" in Tupi, a Brazilian aboriginal language; while his last name, "Kaito" means "marine" in Japanese. While individually, the kanji for "海" means "sea" and "渡" means "transit, ferry, crossing" or "migrate".
Yuna is a tall, dark-haired, young man. He has a young face with purple-lavender eyes.
He wears a formal suit, including an unusual pocket watch which he holds dear.
Yuna appears to be rather polite and almost a little clueless. However, the "D" in his name indicates that he is a top-level magician of vast magical power and skill.
Yuna is an orphan who was separated from his parents soon after birth. Late realizing that he had no blood-relatives to speak of. He decided that it would be best for him to stay away from people.
Later, He met a British association of powerful wizards who wanted him, in order to utilize his magic to help them. Yuna didn't want to help anyone and considered it bothersome to do something for others, but he didn't have any strong aversions to the idea and simply agreed; going along with it.
He continued to grow ever much stronger in power and therefore, he gained new magical abilities. He wasn't stronger than those close to him, but he became more powerful than those who lived in far away lands.
One day, the wizards of his clan talked about a magical object they had created, and that Akiho Shinomoto from another European clan of magicians had been born without any magical ability; something that Yuna himself had confirmed.
When the clan and the association come together to turn the girl into a magical tool, it was decided that it was best to let her travel the world and read herself the magical books that will be recorded onto her. So, Yuna offers himself to be the guardian of the girl and accompany her on her trips.
For an unknown reason, Yuna betrayed his clan by stealing the very powerful magical object that they had created and horded from the world, and fled to Tomoeda. There, he began to watch over Sakura Kinomoto who was subconsciously creating the Clear Cards as her magic was getting increasingly stronger and chaotic.
He wants Sakura to create specific cards, ones that allows him to utilize the full powers of Alice in Clockland to work forbidden magics.
Clear Card Arc
- Sakura, the Clock, and a Hide-and-Seek Game (debut)
- Sakura and the Sleeping Labyrinth
- Sakura and the Upside-Down Penguin
- Sakura and the Ice Ball Sports Tournament
- Sakura's Nostalgic Viewing Party
- Sakura and Meiling's Friend
- Sakura and Meiling's Return
- Sakura, the Shrine and the Zoo
- Sakura's Nostalgic Viewing Party
- Sakura and Meiling's Friend
- Sakura and the Crazy Sweets
- Sakura and the Fire and Water Birds
- Sakura and Akiho's Lullaby
- Sakura, Rainbows and Grandpa
- Sakura, the Mirror and the Key of Memories
- Sakura's Clear Cards
She was a great friend of his, who had warned him to never forget what was truly important to him, no matter what methods he would use to realize his wish.
"Isn't that what makes her so endearing?"
Yuna is Akiho's caretaker. In truth, he is merely taking advantage of her to achieve his ultimate goal in utilizing the full strength of the forbidden magical relic that he had stolen.
Formally acquainted, Yuna expressed his admiration for Sakura's character. Unbeknownst to Sakura, Yuna knows everything about her and her family. He ultimately intends to confront her directly once she creates the cards he desires to use.
"Your effort is appreciated."
Yuna is the only one who has been seen to communicate with Momo so far. Both are of the consensus that they need to keep an eye on Akiho.
"Your powers have grown in such a short time. No wonder you're next in line to lead the Li clan."
He encounters him on his way from coming to pick up Akiho after shopping. He apologizes for his manners and introduces himself. He many have intentionally allowed Syaoran to detect his innate magical ability and strength.
"You've passed away, but you are stronger than ever."
At the end of Chapter 39, he is started by the sudden appearance of the spirit of Touya and Sakura's late mother during Parents' Day. She calls forth a memory from his time with the English magic society, and reminds him how he considered Akiho's own mother, her own best childhood friend, a very good friend. She warns him to remember what Akiho's mother had said to him before her death, to which Kaito says he does not understand what she meant.
Nadeshiko informs him that it was she who had chosen that particular house for her children to live in. Kaito then reveals that he is on the verge of becoming what she is- A disembodied spirit!
Powers and Abilities
Magical Power-Level: His innate magical power and prowess is indeed immensely strong, being ranked topmost in the association of magic users of "D". He is said to be more powerful than Eriol Hiiragizawa and Yelan Li, two of the greatest magicians alive. His magic aura is violet like his eyes.
- Vocal Reduction: He is capable of silencing whoever he sees fit. He had done so to Syaoran, to stop him from telling Sakura that he is after her and her cards.
- Magic Circle: Colored a dark purple that has some unidentified symbol on it, but which matches the pattern on his pocket watch. He had used it to sever the strong link of magical communication between Cerberus, Yue, and Eriol in Episode 21 from a large distance. He can also use it for spying on his enemies.
Time Control & Manipulation: With the help of his pocket watch and a spell, Yuna is able to turn back time, affecting anyone within the area that he wishes to turn time back upon. The individuals affected will forget anything Yuna has said or done within those few minutes, allowing Yuna to rewrite the present as he sees fit. He is also able to stop time for everyone except whoever he wishes.
- Divination: Yuna says he can predict the future to some extent, but not at the same level as a clairvoyant.
- Teleportation: He is capable of teleporting over vast distances with ease
- Conjuration & Transfiguration: He can conjure whatever he sees fit out of thin air and transfigure them.
- Spiritual Awareness & Affinity: He is capable of perceiving the spirit of Nadeshiko.
- Size Manipulation: He can shrink down whoever he sees fit to the size of a mouse. He did so to Sakura.
- Sleep Inducement: At times, he makes Akiho go unconscious.
He also seems to connected the the black winged snake that frequently appears in Sakura's prophetic nightmares. It seems to a symbol of his highest status of innate magical prowess, in addition to his purple magic circle.
Staff: With this long gold scepter, he can perform even greater magical feats of various types of high magics:
Tina rei Atropos
Reveal to me
All that is hidden
- "It is my job, after all."
- "Pardon my manners. I look after Akiho. My name is Yuna D. Kaito."
- "The collection of cards is progressing well. It will be that time soon enough. Yes. Even now."
- "Yes, I'm aware. That's why the new cards are necessary."
- "The sooner the better. I believe her protectors have already noticed and, as such, they've begun to move."
- "I expected no less of Mr. Eriol. I always wondered why they say he is the most powerful of all living magicians. And now I know. This watch, which has remained intact all this time, has finally broken. Still, I will attain these new cards. Then I can use the relic I took from the association and activate that magic spell."
- "Neither will you. The only reason you're still here is because you wanted to see the activation of the taboo magic.
- The "D" in Yuna's name indicates that he is one of the strongest and most dangerous magicians in a Magicians' Society with sinister intentions. Eriol warns that there are unsavory rumors surrounding this organization.
- In Chapter 22, Cerberus and Yue learn from Eriol that Yuna has been kicked out of the magicians' society due to the fact that he stole an extremely powerful and ancient magical object that is forbidden to be used to its full potential.
- At the end of Chapter 40 and beginning of Chapter 41, he encounters the spirit of Touya and Sakura's late mother.
- He eventually casts a tongue-tying spell on Syaoran to stop him from telling Sakura about him and his sinister motives concerning her.